Sunday, January 6, 2013

Remembering: Star

Star. You were the first dog that Steven and I brought into our life together. The first dog I owned after the devastating loss of my childhood best friend.

You had a lot to live up to and did it admirably. The accidental result of the neighbor's Dachshund getting in with a family friend's Chihuahua.

I knew when I saw you as a baby that I wanted you.

You were a fun loving pup that went to work with me, and consequentially, loved everyone you met.

You had intelligence unrivaled by any other member of our pack. We taught you fun tricks like high-five, roll over, and trained you to pick out a hidden treat from closed hands. All crowd-pleasers and fun to show off.

While you never had pups of your own, you had a maternal side, although it wasn't aimed at your own species. You much preferred to mother kittens, even going so far as to steal kittens from foster cats we had. I often had to retrieve a kitten and return it to its disgruntled mother.

You had a great desire for milk - anytime Steven would have a glass of milk you would beg shamefully, and he would always oblidge, despite my protests.

While you were not a huge fan of the additions we made to our pack, you tolerated them with good will and we even caught you playing with the others from time to time. However, your favorite game was catch, and when we asked if you were "ready" you would respond with an enthusiastic bark.

You could always be found hidden beneath the blankets, snug and warm. Your favorite spot was in between Steven and I, the prime spot as befits the eldest of our pack.

You were seven years old when you were taken from us and each and every year was worth it. I will miss you and your stoic loyalty for the rest of my life.

Goodbye, Star.




2 comments:

  1. Lots of hard goodbyes. What a lovely eulogy to a special dog - but then they are all special in their own way aren't they? Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words. My apologies for my late reply.

      Delete