Friday, December 16, 2011

Lost and Not Yet Found

I must be the only person in the world whose paychecks run away.

Seriously though, I have lost two goats. Wednesday morning, I went over to my friend and client's home to pick out a goat. This goat was to be in payment for the renewal of her website hosting (Honey Doe Farm). I was really interested in adding a La Mancha cross, to bring in some milk.

We had a great time chatting and looking at her beautiful herd, and then I picked a lovely golden doe with elf ears that is bred back to a Nigerian buck.

After more chatting, she offered me another Nigerian doe, since she was trying to cut down on her mini herd. Excited, I picked out a rich red doe with white markings, as I would *love* to add that color into my herd. She is bred back to the same Nigerian.

I was well pleased and we chatted a while longer and I took the two lovelies home. I set them up in the Quarantine pen and left them hay and water. Later that afternoon I decided to have a bit of a nap. My husband checked on the new girls before he left. But I woke up several hours to silence . . . no yelling crying goats.

Sure enough, the silly buggers were gone. No doubt they jumped out using the little shelter which I had foolishly left too close to the fence. After that, who knows where they went.

I spent hours searching, but it was pitch black. My husband came home around midnight and searched as well. The next morning the breeder came over with her husband and we searched with one of their working dogs. No luck.

I went out later on horseback, still no luck. I came home and put in a call to the Livestock Officer in our area, leaving a description. I did the same with the local feedstores. I've put up a notice at the Post Office and spoken with as many neighbors as I can. Thankfully, if they're spotted, MOST of the locals will know they likely come from the "crazy goat chick in pajamas on the corner."

I am exhausted. I've been out almost constantly, searching. It poured rain last night and I hope they had somewhere to get out of the weather. I pray nothing has gotten hold of them. I actually hope someone managed to lure them into a pen and have them locked up, not sure where they came from.

My art commissions stalled these last few days, but I'm going to try and get back to work on them; the last thing I want to do is get backed up. My online friends have suffered as well, since I've either been outside searching or sleeping. Sorry guys!

These are valuable does. These represent a huge loss for me if they aren't found. But even if they had been free goats, I'd be out there searching. The idea of them being frightened and lost somewhere breaks my heart.

I will keep you guys updated. The breeder is coming back out on Sunday to help me search again. She's also bringing me some cabrito (goat meat) so look forward to a recipe blog on that. More people should be eating goat.

No comments:

Post a Comment