Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Moment in Time - of Stupid

So! I've been so terribly busy I haven't had a ton of time to blog, but never fear my friends. I hope to get at least a post a week in now. So sorry for my hiatus.

Look at this picture.

Awww...it's so cute!!


Yeah...maybe not.

I'm not a terribly callous person, I can see why this picture appeals to those who are a bit ignorant about horses and the dangers of being around a creature that outweighs you by so much. To some, this is certainly a very sweet and loving picture.

To me, I see a dreadfully risky scenario that could so easily end with a serious injury.

First off, it is simply never a good idea to stand in front of your horse, in my opinion. If a horse becomes frightened, which way is it going to go? Forward.

Add in the fact that this child has the horse's leg WRAPPED around her waist - good lord! All that horse has to do is pull his leg back suddenly and that child is underneath that horse and potentially hurt.

Sure, lots of people like their horses to be in their space, nuzzling, putting his head over your shoulder. Mine are not allowed to do such a thing. As a very small person, I am only TOO away of how it only takes a second for an accident to happen, and in that event, it's far more likely that *I* will get hurt instead of the horse. Is that REALLY worth it?

Please people. Use a little sense. This is not a cute picture, it is a disaster waiting to happen.

And for heaven's sake, put some real shorts on that girl.

1 comment:

  1. I know, right???!!!??!!

    When this picture was making the rounds a few weeks ago I was absolutely gobsmacked by the number of knowledgeable, safety minded, experienced horse people I know who reposted it going "oh how sweet" or "isn't this touching".

    I was actually stunned into silence on the matter thinking maybe I was somehow losing it. I mean folks who go OFF about riding without helmets, walking in the pasture in Crocs, putting a toddler on a horse with no adult close by to steady them, etc. were reposting it because it was so "sweet".

    All I could see was if that horse stomped it's leg down right now that girl's skeletal structure would be in pieces.

    I have no issue with my horse being cuddly and all up in my grill.... WHEN INVITED. Now, I invite him up close for cuddles all the time. Like every time I step in the pasture, almost. But *I* have to be the one to approach. If HE approaches and gets all in my space he gets a reprimand. He is big (well, he is kinda small, but small in equines is usually still pretty big, you know?) and a knucklehead and not terribly graceful and he could very easily hurt me if he comes up and gets in my space while I am busy and distracted. I hang all over my horse and probably do some unsafe things myself but holy cow... That picture gives me the heebie-jeebies.

    ReplyDelete