Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Disbudding

So I disbudded for the first time yesterday. My friend and neighbor bought an iron we could share (we share a lot of things!) and so I went over there and we did Romeo and her two new bucklings.

It really wasn't that bad. Sure, it stunk pretty bad, and sure they screamed and squirmed, but wouldn't you?

We think we did a pretty good job of it our first time around. At least we didn't fry any brains. We'll keep an eye on them, especially Romeo, to see how well it took. Romeo at least might need to be done again, as his horns were just starting to come over the hair.

I felt bad for them, but really, there's so many things we do when it comes to keeping animals. Some (most) of them are things that need to be done for their own good. So you just have to suck it up and do it.

Case in point, today I went to my friend's house. She had to leave for an important appointment, but one of her goats was stuck somewhere in the underbrush. I found him stuck in the fence wire. Why? Because he couldn't manuveour his head to get out.

My friend has had problems with stray dogs. She has two Great Pyrenees who do an awesome job, but it would have just taken moments for those dogs to take advantage of the poor stuck goat.

His horns are in the process of being banded off, not just for his safety, but because he's begun to use them on the other goats.

It's no secret I like horns, some of my goats are horned. But from now on I will be disbudding kids. They sell easier without the horns, are safer around children, and don't generally get stuck in fences.

And now, I must fetch my own goats back in; they're enjoying their time out on the pasture but I must start work soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment