Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Check In Post - January 2012

Sorry, nothing controversial today! I know, I know, you're all so terribly disappointed, right? That's okay. Keep an eye out, you never know what might pop up and tempt my ire.

Otherwise, I'm just going to touch on the usual.

Goats! The goats are all well. I did notice some weepy eyes in the herd, which is an indicator of Vitamin A deficiency. Because of this drought we've had, this is a concern in our area. There has been little fresh green forage, so the animals haven't gotten enough of this nutrient. To combat that, everyone will be receiving Vitamin A-D doses, horses included.

I am starting to think everyone is pregnant, (with the exception of Yumi, more on that in a moment). Yes, that includes SEVEN! She actually has quite a handful of udder. We've failed to get her bred the last two years running, so if she continues to progress and kids in March, I will be so excited.

Yumi, dear Yumi. She either slipped/absorbed her kids early on, or was not settled. Today her and Blizzard have been spending some "loving" time together. Which means June kids, which I detest, but we will manage. I can't have have her going dry an entire year and getting fat on me. They'll be nice kids, so getting them sold shouldn't be an issue, and then I can milk her through fall breeding (if her condition is good enough) and get her on schedule with everyone else next season.

Secret is doing quite well. She is picking up weight and her coat, will still not to my standards, is not as yucky and "felt like" as it was before. The Vit. A will help her skin and coat immensely. She's got plenty more energy and trots at my elbow and is easy to handle. She sometimes tries to avoid being caught, but patience will bring that around.

Everyone else is doing well. We have set up a kidding stall in an optimal area to run a kidding camera on. We will, if possible, be livestreaming the kidding camera online, so that others can help me keep an eye on these does. LOTS of First Fresheners this year, so I don't want to take any risks. We'll see the first doe on camera after this weekend. Keep an eye out!

I hope all my readers are having a good week, and it will continue. I have spent a lot of time lately meditating on the problems of my friends, who are struggling with problems of their own. I wish often, that there was more I could do for them, but for now, I will continue to do the best I can. At the very least, I am always willing to listen, to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment