Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My "Great Grandkid"

Meet my "great grandkid!"

Funny, eh?

She traces back to my very first buck ever, Buckly, and a doe I owned, Lily. Their doeling was named Isis. I was terribly attached to her, but she was just much too small for what I was aiming for.

I sold her, and Lily, to a good friend who doesn't live too far. I of course came to regret this after I saw Isis' first udder. It was lovely, well attached, even, and looked marvelous. Alas, she wasn't for sale for any price!

That was alright though, since she was nearby and I like my friend quite a lot.


This year she had twins, a doeling and buckling. The sire is the same buck I bred most of my does too, a silky fainter. I was able to wheedle a trade out of my friend . . . the doeling! Who had to be put on a bottle. In return, I'll give her a nice doeling out of my stock, so she can have a bit of fresh blood. Goat friends have to stick together!

So the little baby is here, and I tell you, I'm in love with her already. She's over twice the size her dam was at the same age, so I am thinking the fainting blood will give her some nice size and girth, and she will hopefully inherit that nice udder from her dam, with all the benefits of cross-bred vigor.

She took to the bottle like a champ and has been quite a good girl. She may have to come along with us when we go to see Spyder and geld him later this month, but I know she'll behave herself and not embarrass me at my friend's place! By then she'll be tough enough to stay in their barn, unlike here, where she sleeps either on the bed or in a cozy kennel on a blanket.

I know, spoiled. I'm sure I'll come to regret it.

We're starting to see progress in my own does. Gypsy is growing her udder quickly. Seven has a handful of udder, but I cannot feel kids, so not sure if she is bred or just pretending. I can feel kids in Juliet, but haven't really messed with anyone else. I except to see udders really starting come the beginning of February, and Gypsy is due early that month as well.

Keep checking back for those cute kid pictures starting February, then March through April!

1 comment:

  1. This baby is gorgeous. LOVE those markings!!!!

    Nutmeg is starting her udder. I can feel it, can't see it but that is because she has the typical Togg butt fluffy britches. She is as wide as a mack truck already. Due first week of March, hopefully. Those are my half fainter babies, too.

    ReplyDelete