Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Check In Post - February 2012

Yes, yes, I know. Another dull check in post. I apologize! I haven't had anything very interesting pop into my head here lately. I'm sure when it finally comes, it will be a humdinger of a post.

So let's round up my scattered thoughts.

I find it interesting that shortly after making the post I did last, talking about power of the mind and the challenges of being positive, some things in my personal life took a sharp turn downward.

So I am struggling a little with my own preachings. Like I said, no one is perfect.

But I will throw down my anchors, dig in, and ride it out. All things pass, in time. I choose to not be overly stressed about it, even though it is hard.

On a more positive note, I have made some awesome friends and business partners, of a sort. For a while now, I have been working with Honey Doe Farm, a goat dairy and cheese maker in the town north of me. I started this relationship over a year ago when I agreed to do a website for them. When their website came up for renewal, they "paid" me with Gypsy and Yumi, who were the goats who went missing.

The owners of Honey Doe Farm, we'll call them "F" and "L" are a lovely older wife and husband. They came and helped me search for the missing goats, and during that time I came to really enjoy F's company. It took a little longer with the husband, L, as he is deaf, but I soon learned he had a great sense of humor and really loves their goats and other animals.

Since then, I have been "working" for them, in a sense. I go over and help out with whatever chores they need doing. I have helped process home grown turkeys, helped milk, helped catch and photograph sale goats. Last week I helped disbud some 60+ goat kids. What a day! It's hard work, but I was never afraid of that.

In exchange, they have provided my family with goat and turkey meat, milk, eggs, and given me an awesome deal on hay. So I'm getting "paid" just in a different fashion!

I'm also pulling goats from their farm and "brokering" them, ie selling them from my place and taking a small cut of the sale price. I have plenty of time and a huge network, so it works out. Of course, feeding nine bottle kids three times a day is work in it's own right. ;)

I have started learning American Sign Language so that I might communicate with L better. It's a little awkward, but I dislike not being able to understand him completely, and really, what other excuse to NOT learn it except laziness!

The other day I took along my husband and brother to help them move their new cheese equipment into the buildings, and then we were treated to a cheese tasting and wine. It was so great, pulling out all these amazing cheeses and tasting them, and giving feedback. They sent us home with a ton of cheese to enjoy - we LOVE cheese!

I can hardly wait until their building is complete and they can begin to sell cheeses to the public. I'm going to be joining them in a class to learn how to make Brie, and they are eager to hire me in an "official" sense when they are up and running and doing well. Can you imagine a better job for me?

Plus no more super tight penny pinching budget to make sure all the animals are fed and we have enough left over to buy ramen for us. ;) Just kidding...mostly!

They may be twice my age but . . . I always did enjoy older people far more than people my own age. I guess I'm just an old soul. It's so strange to be getting out of the house and working and enjoying it. I think I've even gained some weight. I know I feel a lot better.

On other subjects - Gypsy is milking out really well now that her boys are gone. She has a beautiful lovely udder. Juliet is due early March, followed by everyone else. I think everyone is bred, although Zenyatta and Ruffian have me puzzled - they are just starting to udder up. Did they miss being bred by "Billy" and get bred by Blizzard? I would be delighted if so.

I am looking to place Secret now that she is much healthier and happier. I had planned on keeping her longer, but there is a horse that stole my heart some time ago and is now for sale. With luck, I will be placing a down payment on him next week and he'll be coming home about the same time Spyder heads home.

All else is well. We've had no health issues with anyone, and everyone is fed and fat and happy.

Until next time . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment