Friday, February 17, 2012

Strength of Mind

Many of you may remember a post I made about "choosing to be happy" and talking about mind over matter before.

However, I want to dig a little deeper into this mindset.

I have a few friends who are very good people, but will continue to talk about all the things they can't do, or wish they could do. I've had a lot of people ask me why I have been so successful (to a point) and why I am so content most of the time. I have other friends who spend far too much time focusing on the negative and ignoring the positive.

So take a walk with me. Open your mind.

First and foremost, I believe strongly in the power of your mind. Some might find this a bit hokey, but truthfully, it works for me. Will it work for you? Won't know until you try it. And it certainly won't hurt to try.

Let's start with me, of course. Anyone who's spent any time around me knows I have a high opinion of myself. I love to talk about my accomplishments. I often tell people how awesome I am! I am capable of doing anything I desire. If I want something, I will obtain it, eventually.

Some have called me arrogant. That's okay, it's true. Part of this power of the mind is indeed accepting the bad with the good. But I do try to never be condescending - that would be far too negative.

The point is, I believe these things with every bit of my being. I believe I am awesome. I believe I can do whatever I want. I believe I can get whatever I need.

Because I believe it, it's true.

Is it easy to believe these things? Not all of the time. I've slipped and had spells where I am negative. It never helps. Am I perfect? Hell no. I'm uncouth, rude, with a loud mouth. I have no problem poking a stick at someone who deserves it, metaphorically speaking. I have a wicked sense of humor and a nasty temper.

But I accept these things as part of me. I control them to the best of my ability. And I do not allow these faults to overcome me.

Many people will go, "I'm so fat/ugly/useless/stupid/immature/etc" and guess what? It eventually becomes true because these people have repeated it so much, they believe it. And belief is the foundation for truth. Believe in it...it becomes true.

So tell me. What do these things do for you? They either do nothing at all, or they drag you down into a spiral of negativity.

How can you change this? Stop focusing on the negative and look for the positive. Again, I know it sounds hokey. Just trust in me.

Instead of saying, "I'm ugly" find something else. "My eyes are beautiful."

Build on that. Find a new positive thing to think about as often as you can. Repeat it to yourself. BELIEVE IT.

It is easy? Hell no. You will fail at times. You will slip. But you CAN do it. Believe that as well.

Put aside anything negative about yourself. So what if you have something that society perceives as "bad." Who gives a flying crap what society thinks about you? Put it aside! Society means NOTHING. Only what YOU think and what YOU believe matters.

I've also written about taking time to feel gratitude for things in your life. Things as large as being blessed with a good family, or a good job. But remember the tiny things. Hot water, food, a roof that doesn't leak. A running vehicle. APPRECIATE THEM.

It all ties in together.

When you've trained your mind to focus on the positive and set aside the negative, you will soon realize how much more pleasant your life is. You will be able to handle problems that crop up your life better. Try it out.

I once read a quote that makes perfect sense.

If you want to do something, you'll find a way to do it. If you don't actually want to do it, all you'll find is excuses.

2 comments:

  1. Very good blog post! Everyone needs to be reminded of this. This coming week I'm going to try to change my mindset to be more positive and thankful for what I have. Thank you Kristina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Riley! You might find it really works for you - I know it does for me. We all face challenges in our lives, and for us, they are always hard. We cannot always make those challenges easier, but we CAN change how we handle it.

    ReplyDelete