Saturday, February 4, 2012

I Won a Contest

Turns out I won Oregon's Living Legends recent writing contest. Pretty cool!

The challenge was to write a short, very brief, post about what the picture (at right) inspires in you.

I wrote a short piece that came to mind and entered it without much thought. I like contests like these, but there were so many amazing entries, I didn't even think twice about it.

I found out yesterday I actually won first place! I was really surprised. My prize is the framed picture. It will fit right in with my living room decor - it's just lovely. Can't wait to see it in person.

Check out Oregon's Living Legends website or their Facebook page. The author of the book about mustangs is a good friend of mine, and a damn fine woman. Order a copy of her book . . . I sure am!


Here is my entry:

The sun was setting over the range, its dimming light falling over the two weanlings standing quietly in the grasses. The mustang herd stood nearby, some laying down to sleep, others standing hipshot, and more grazing slowly, one mouthful at a time. The stallion, a rough black coated horse, paced back and forth atop a slight hill, watching their surroundings with a cat-like wariness.

The weanlings, splashed with color, gambled about in the failing light, striking at each other playfully and wheeling around to kick up their heels. They squealed and snorted, then slowly dropped off their play to pick at the sweet grasses beneath their hooves. Several of the mares nickered softly at them to move closer to the herd.

The sun began to dip beneath the horizon as one weanling folded his legs and sunk to the ground, ears swiveling to take in their surroundings as he made himself comfortable on the soil of his birth. The other foal nosed him gently, then nipped, requesting more play. The first colt fluttered his nostrils in an irritated blow of breath, and his companion ceased his teasing and stood quietly beside him, cocking one hind foot and watching their herd.

Night falls at last, obscuring the view of these young lives, living free on the range.

No comments:

Post a Comment