Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Life of a Meat Goat Begins

Welcome to the world, little "Chili."

At 9AM, Monday March 3rd, Seven gave birth to a single healthy buckling. I tell you, I've never seen a goat look more shocked in my life. She didn't know WHAT to think of this new creature. It didn't help that I had to fish out his second leg and help him into the world, which no doubt was painful for poor Seven.

After a while, she warmed up to him. It took them some time to get used to each other, but soon enough I had a happy fed kid, a happy mom. Other than his slightly wrong presentation into the world, the birth went smoothly.


Little Chili here is the first goat born specifically aimed for the freezer. This should not come as a shock to anyone who reads this blog, as it's been talked about for some time. Chili will live a great life, enjoying the fresh grass, sunlight, all the feed he could want, and even love and kisses. He'll stay with his mom until the day comes. What more could anyone ask for?

It might surprise you that I pick up Chili and cuddle with him. Why not? I know what purpose he will serve, but it doesn't stop me from sharing my love with him. How could I deny that to him, when I plan to use his body for my own means.

He will receive just as much preventative health care as the other goats. His feet will stay trimmed, his tummy full. He will not just be "thrown to pasture" and forgotten about until it comes time to process him. He will have buddies around his own age to play with. If I plan to use him, then I plan to give him everything in life he deserves.

When he reaches optimal weight, we will be with him when he is humanely slaughtered. All parts of him will be used, none wasted. His energy will be passed on to us and others. We will thank him for his life.

Welcome to the beginning of the life of a meat goat.

4 comments:

  1. Love this! There are always people out there that try and beat us down about giving our "freezer" animals love and attention! Are we supposed to treat them badly just because we intend to eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly Kasey - I can understand how some people might not want to cuddle and love on a freezer bound animal, but there is NO reason why they should not receive the same optimal care my other animals get. I'm tough enough to be able to kiss his cute little nose as well, without getting upset that someday he will be on my plate. We're a rare breed, and I want to spread this way of thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is how I raise my freezer camp goats. They get leash trained and everything. And once a week they get taken for a walk to special pretty place beneath a tree for a yummy special treat that only the freezer goats get. Then, when their appointed day comes to head off to freezer camp... while they snack on their treat... we put them down. They never know it is coming, it is not scary or stressful, the last thing they think of is a loving hand on their back and a tasty treat in their mouth.

    The one thing i do, though, is I don't give them "real" names. They get what is basically a description. Last year they were all "Kenny". Long Earred Kenny and Short Earred Kenny. Anyone who watches South Park will understand that. This year they will be the Red Shirts (LOL NERD HUMOUR!!!)

    On the bright side, if something comes up and i end up not eating one of them, they are wonderfully socialized and can go on to be pets with no problem. In fact the wether formerly known as "Long Earred Kenny" is now living next door as a companion to a horse, he has been renamed "Carl Wethers" (LOL! after the guy who played Apollo Creed in Rocky) since we had enough venison that we didn't need him and the neighbor needed a goat. He forgot his leash walking skills on the short walk to his new home but he is happy and loving life even though he started out destined for the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've got it down to an art!

    I would love to see this kind of mindset spread further . . . the world would be so much a better place.

    ReplyDelete