Thursday, March 1, 2012

Second Kids of 2012

Welcome to the second set of K-n-S Farm's kids of 2012.

Juliet was terribly uncomfortable for days and days. This silly goat exhibited every sign of labor for at least a week!

Finally, she got down to business this morning. I had the kidding camera running on her - I woke up at 6:00AM on the dot; I could hear her grunting.

I rolled over and looked at my laptop, and sure enough, Juliet was down and pushing.


I only had time to pop my contacts in, grab a towel, and get to the stall before I was catching the first kid.

Perfect presentation for both kids, one black and white, blue eyed doeling, and one cream and white blue eyed buckling. Neither are polled (the sire is polled) but they got mama's eyes. They were cleaned up and nursing within 30 minutes and are feisty little things. I find it funny just how similar to Karma the little doeling is, but it's no surprise after all, since they have the same sire.

I am really pleased with this outcome - you see, last year Juliet had a horrible first birth experience. She kidded early and a breech birth. The kid presented tail first and it took me a while to get him out. He was born dead, his cord broken, and Juliet retained the placenta. I had to check her uterus, administer oxytocin, and flush her out real good.

Thankfully, she recovered perfectly and I bred her this year with some trepidation, worried she had some problem that prevented her from carrying and birthing kids properly.

With this perfect text book birth, those fears are put aside. Juliet has a nice udder and is caring for her kids like a great mom.

We have several more does due to kid this month and the next, so keep an eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment