Sunday, March 18, 2012

Recipe Post - Surprise Rice

I really love "Surprise Rice" because it's cheap, easy, and you can put just about anything in it. I prefer rabbit meat or chicken. Being out of rabbit, I used chicken for this dish.

The first thing you'll want to do is cook your meat. I always cook in a stock, or you may choose to buy precooked meat, or cook in tinfoil in the oven. Cook however you like. The chicken below is started in chicken stock with the tops of green onions and a few crushed cloves of garlic.


I usually wait until the chicken is done, removed from the liquid, and covered with tinfoil to rest to start the rest of the meal. It's important to rest your meat. If you cut into it right away, all the juices run out and you are left with dry meat.

From here, I start cooking the rice. While that is going, I take out a good amount of bacon and slice it. Cold bacon is much easier to slice. Slicing into small pieces makes it easier to cook and once cooked, it's the perfect size for mixing into the rice without anymore preparation.


Once the bacon is cut, it's cooked in a pan. I often use the pan I'm going to put the rice into at the end. No point in making new dishes. After it is finished, I remove the bacon from the pan. From there, you have a choice. You can cook some eggs in the bacon fat, or drain it. I like to cook eggs in it. Eggs, onions, mushrooms, all these are optional for your dish. Those are my favorite things to put in it. You can put whatever you like in it. Use your imagination. I also shred the chicken at this step.


By now, your rice should be done. I remove it from the vessel used to cook it and place it in the larger pot. I dump in all the goodies. For seasoning, again, you can use what you like. I use soy sauce, garlic salt, and pepper. Be careful using soy sauce, too much and you'll get way too salty. Add a little at a time, stir, taste, and adjust to your liking.

And there you have it. Surprise Rice! It's filling and quite delicious.

2 comments: