Friday, October 21, 2011

A Bad Day

Today was a very bad day for our little farm. It could have been worse, but it was bad enough.

We had a dog attack this morning. Part of it is my own fault, our electric fencing was off; it needed some repairs and I shut it off the other night until I could get to those. The horse and goats have been respecting it well so I figured they'd be fine.

But I hadn't counted on outside influence.

I woke up suddenly, not sure what woke me up, but I have a habit of getting up and checking on things when I wake up. Before I could even pry my eyes open, the Boxers started barking and I could eat the goats.

Concerned now, I went out to have a look, and was struck by the horrific sight of three strange dogs in the pasture. My heart jumped and then sunk into my stomach and my throat nearly closed in on itself.

I grabbed the gun out of the washroom and hauled ass outside. Within a few seconds I was able to see that my beautiful little gold buckling, Alydar, was dead, and the dogs had several goats pinned in the barn.

As soon as they heard the door they turned and took off. Luckily there is open space behind my house and I could get a shot off without risking neighbors. I got one but was unable to get the other two before they made it out of my range (I have a short range that I feel I can hit reliably, being visually impaired, and will not risk shooting beyond that range).

I've never seen these dogs before. They were shepherd crosses, maybe lab crosses. I know nearly all of the dogs in the area, from riding Apple. I've actually had very little problems with dogs ever since I "cleaned up" around here when I moved in. The dead dog is very thin and mangy. Best guess is they were a dump.

The sheriff was called and a report made. They took pictures, and so did I (which I will not release in any form or fashion, in case by some stroke of luck, these dogs actually DO have owners.)

Several of the does have superficial scratches and bites. The worst of it, other than the dead buckling, is the leased buck. He was bitten and torn badly under his jaw. Everyone was checked over with a fine tooth combed, treated. I'm worried about the buck. Goats are strange creatures. Either they heal from some pretty scary wounds and injuries, or they drop dead at the first opportunity.

The buck ate some feed and drank water for me, so I am hoping he's going to fight back. I feel really horrible because I don't own him, but I will do everything in my power to heal him, but if he doesn't heal, I will make it right. The owner is understanding but I still feel just awful.

And my buckling...he was growing so well and such a great little character. And the most valuable goat on the property. Why does it always work that way?

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment