Monday, October 3, 2011

Breeding Season Begins

At long last, a goat post!

Breeding season here at K-n-S Farm has officially begun!

We have leased a Fainter (also known as a Myotonic) buck. He is amazingly "fragrant" and has no doubt of his job. I've seen some of his kids and they are lovely.

Now you may be wondering, why would I cross a fainter with my dairy does?

I'll tell you why.

Meat.

Yup, you heard me. Any wethers not reserved beforehand will be held back for meat. Doelings will be sold, or if I get an exceptional one, retained.

With this drought continuing to ravish our state, beef prices are mostly certainly creeping upwards. Before long, I won't be able to afford to add much beef into the budget. And I do love to eat meat. So the solution? Breed the does for meat kids and fill my freezer. So this is what we're going to do.

Juliet was first in line to be bred (of course) and so we're going to start expecting kids in early March. Hopefully everyone else falls in line pretty soon here, I like my kids to be born pretty close to each other. It makes planning things like vaccinations, cocci treatment, disbudding, and other procedures, easier to do.

To update a couple of other things. Jetta went to her new home on Sunday. I'll miss her lots, but the new family is very happy with her and have let me know that she is settling in well. And through Jetta, I was able to buy a load of hay that should last me through the winter hopefully, or close to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment