Tuesday, November 8, 2011

BLM Mustangs

I had been casting about for a good topic to write about, when a good friend on my Facebook had a topic going about the BLM Mustangs, and the little light went off in my head.

I'm so sick and tired of bleeding heart animal rights fundies stomping all over the place spreading misinformation and lies about the BLM.

Said friend works with the BLM quite often and raises orphan foals, so yeah, I think I'm more likely to listen to her first hand experience, than anyone else's.


But constantly you have PETA-esque jackanapes running their mouths. And then people turn around and parrot it. "Oh, the BLM is so cruel. They're selling mustangs for slaughter. Splitting up families. Running the horses to death. Starving them." So forth and so on.

What a load of shit.

The BLM never sells any mustang to slaughter. Never. Which personally, I think is a shame, but you all know my opinion on the matter. I see a nice way to put some meat on plates in these hard economic times AND solve the mustang problem. Oh, oops, was that a Facebook defriend going off again?

As for the splitting up families tripe, are you joking me? Get off the couch, stop watching that absolute inane documentary about Cloud the "rare white mustang" (he's not white, by the way) and learn about true horse behavior. You think they honestly care? No, they don't. It's all instinct, and soon enough, they've forgotten about the other horses.

BLM does not run horses to death. If they did, you'd see a lot more videos of it posted by PETA and those other asshats. How come you only see one or two events, posted over and over? Because it's a RARE occurrence. Accidents happen. Animal rights morons try to make it out to seem like a regular events. Get real.

You know what else I'm sick of? The damned idea that mustangs are "running wild and freeeee!"

Ugh! You know what? Mustangs aren't WILD! They're feral horses. A domesticated animal let loose to roam about and cause destruction of the environment. They do not belong there. But because of some bleeding hearts, they're allowed to remain. Which, fine, okay, but these same bleeding hearts need to realize, if they aren't MANAGED properly, they will destroy the range to the point NO animal can live there, and what becomes of their precious mustangs then?

Open your eyes. And trust me, running "freeeee and wild" ain't a walk in the park.



Yeah, that's what living "wild and freeeee" gets you. Especially somewhere you don't really belong in the first place. Get the butterflies and rainbows out of your head and look at it properly.

You want to do something about mustangs? Go out and adopt one. Go on then, get going. You can even bid and adopt online, and arrange for your mustang to be shipped to your place. Or, go up there and help with the gathers. Propose ways of controlling the mustang population that WORKS. Help fund the corrals and sanctuaries where unadopted mustangs are held. Take in orphan foals and save their lives. So, what's stopping you? Hmm?

Well then. Stop spreading misinformation and parroting the animal rights jackanapes. Get out and do something about it or shut up. Sitting on your couch flapping your jaw never solved anything.

Look, I like mustangs. I'd like to adopt one. I have many friends who have BLM mustangs and love them. When it works well, it's marvelous. I'd like it to continue working well, which is why I support the BLM and their efforts to manage the range.




5 comments:

  1. You rock Goat Whisperer! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes well.. I have adopted mustangs, and participated and attended EMMs, gone to BLM advisory board meeting where I not only heard some of possibly the dumbest things I had ever heard said, but heard things I knew were lies. Knew because I have been to multiple corrals, over the past 6 1/2 years, (not just one like your friend) I have met/adopted horses from many HMAs, from multiple states (not just one like your friend)
    I admit your friend is an authority on her part of the world, but it's a small piece of BLM, and there is a whole lot that goes on in places other then Oregon, so sorry. I have my own experience, and am fairly capable when it comes to mathematics. So I did the math myself, and it doesn't add up the way BLM tells it, it just doesn't. I'll even make you a deal.. You look at the Calico & Twin Peak HMAs, gather history, number of horses removed, numbers left, the look at the recent gathers.. and try to make it equal to as many horses on the range today as they say there are,(please show your work)
    They are putting a pipeline down the MIDDLE of the Calico (and other HMAs and now are going back to gather the horses that got PUSHED off their range by the construction.. WTH? Sorry NOT OK. The path of the pipeline was not OK, the last gather numbers were not OK, and from what they left, using their own formula there are not much over 1000 horses total on the range but they are going back to gather over 1000?? Nope sorry NOT OK.
    Also pardon me Miss My friend Says.. I do have mustangs, and they are very bonded to their family units. If one is removed and reintroduced, they do recognize them, and accept them back into the group. Doesn't matter i its a gelding or a mare. That's not to say the mares wont fight over a gelding, or the geldings over a mare, but once they have a herd, they stick with it. My filly is 3 years old and I have separated her from her mom at times, but if given the choice, she is right next to her mom.
    So why don't you write your next something about mustangs after YOU learn something about them, instead of just a bunch of "My friend says"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! I'll have you know, I only mentioned that friend once. I've never proclaimed to be an expert, just a person posting MY point of view on things. ;)

    I actually have quite a lot of experience with adopted mustangs, believe it or not, just don't own any of my own.

    Fact of the matter is: The horses don't belong there. They need to be managed heavily. The BLM may not do everything right, but right now, they're in charge.

    Personally, I wouldn't be bothered if ALL feral horses were removed from public lands. They just plain don't belong there.

    However, I have read your comments and appreciate your taking the time to write them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is your opinion and of course you are entitled to it. Unfortunately for you the majority of the American people don't agree with you.

    While they do need to be managed, not necessarily managed HEAVILY, just responsibly, which is something the current gather schedule is not.

    The horses actually have just as much if not more right to be there then someone's personal cows or sheep. The Wild Horse PROTECTION act was set up to protect them, not to be used as a weapon against them. Slowly the truth is coming to light, people are becoming aware, and the horses will win, just hopefully not too late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Kathy M, way to take defense to a strangers opinion. I am glad you feel strongly on the subject, but that is no reason to lash out. Goat Whisperer showed respect and class, why can't you do the same?

    ReplyDelete