Sunday, November 6, 2011

Holidays

Ah, here it is. The infamous holiday post you've all been waiting for. Right? Right?

Well I can pretend people care, can't I.

Anyhow. Holidays. I thought I'd take a bit and explain how holidays work around here at K-n-S Farm.

We here at the farm don't celebrate the majority of nationally recognized holidays, for a various number of reasons.

We'll start with the big ones that come at the end of the year.

Halloween! I actually rather like Halloween. It's become so commercialized it makes me vaguely sick, but the core of the holiday is good.

Personally I can't stand the idea of people's little munchkins coming to my door to beg for candy, so it's a good thing I live way out in the middle of no where with electric fence and a gate. No brats at my door! We don't normally get to go out and do anything for the holiday anymore as well, so our way of celebrating is is the yearly Pumpkin Toss. You can see a video of that here.

Thanksgiving is a loaded holiday that I'm unsure of currently. I *love* to cook and Thanksgiving is a great chance to show off my skills. Last year I made the most beautiful turkey breast. It was so moist and delicious and marvelous. However, the holiday is based upon so many lies it's kind of hard to put aside those things. Should we REALLY be celebrating the intrusion of people into another people's lands? Meh . . . I don't know. We normally do not go out on Thanksgiving, and Steven works it, but I do cook, and we do take a moment to be thankful for things, but that's also something we do each and every day anyways.

Christmas? Ha! That will get a blog post ALL of its own. I have some strong thoughts on that holiday. So you'll just have to wait to hear about it.

Easter. We don't celebrate it. A holiday that's become a perverted mixture of Christianity and Pagan celebration? Weird. No thanks. I do love the candy that goes on sale afterward though!

Honestly? Those are the only big holidays I bring to mind. Most of the smaller ones we don't celebrate, except perhaps in a nominal way.

No, we have our own holidays; a mixture of holidays we created ourselves through tradition, and recognized smaller holidays. Pumpkin Toss, RenFaire Day, Winter's Solstice, May 4th, World Turtle Day, Summer Solstice....so forth and so on. If we feel it's a good reason to celebrate, we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment