Friday, November 25, 2011

Welcome Secret

Is it bad that I'm cringing a little with a sheepish grin while writing this? I have a friend, a dear, beloved, wonderful friend, who is going to heave a huge sigh, roll her eyes, call me a bleeding heart, and whap me over the head with a newspaper once she finds out. You know who you are...

Though I honestly have no idea if she actually reads my blog. I imagine she does. Guess I'll find out now, won't I?

Without further adieu . . .

Welcome to K-n-S Farm, Secret.


Yup, I took in a rescue. *Hides from said friend.*

"Secret" (hehheh) is a 7-8 month old Welsh filly. She was run through an auction and went for pennies. A friend who pulls nice looking QH-esque horses from the auction, handles them, and resells as a small hobby, saw her right before leaving and managed to fit her in the trailer.

Knowing my affection for ponies and my patience for youngsters, she recommended I take in the little filly. And how could I say no? I'm a bleeding heart, remember?

We kept it quiet, partly because I didn't feel like getting beat over the head with a newspaper (quite yet), and partly because I love to tease my husband. He has no idea about this. Some of us are taking bets on how long until he notices her. Seeing as she's now standing right outside my back door, I can't imagine it will be too long.

For those wondering . . . no, my husband will not be angry or upset. He might pretend to be, for a space of ten minutes, before he's out there petting the new baby. The farm and livestock are my responsibility and he fully supports whatever I choose to do with it. So don't fret! It's all in good fun.

Anyhow. Secret is here. She's thin and a little frightened and confused, but she has a gentle eye and did not fuss too much about anything I did to her. She loaded and unloaded my friend's trailer without ordeal. I've settled her in with some hay and water and she seems alright.

Apple is ignoring her, although the goats are, of course, terribly curious.

The plan is to fix her up, put work into her, and perhaps when she's been started under saddle in a few years, resell as a good riding pony. It appears she's going to be a decent sized pony, larger than I had first anticipated when agreeing to take her.

What's one more mouth to feed around here, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment