Sunday, March 21, 2010

I'm sorry

I'm so sorry little one.

It was a disgusting, cold, rainy day. I sledged through it as usual, bringing the irritated goats their hay and alfafa pellets.

You were laying with the two junior doelings. I didn't think twice of it. I checked the juniors, as they've been feeling poorly on and off lately. I gave them their morning dose of nutri-drench to keep their spirits up, gave everyone a pat, and went inside.

I came out to check on everyone and found you down, legs stiff, unresponsive. My heart was in my stomach as I rushed you inside. Your temperature was so low I couldn't get a read on it.

Desperate, I put you in a plastic bag up to your head and submerged you into hot water, trying to get your temperature up. I got you out and put you under a heater and a heatpad, rubbing you and praying.

I was too late. You passed away while I held you and cried.

I'm so sorry for not noticing you weren't feeling well that morning. I'm so sorry that something was amiss and you had to go.

It broke my heart to lose you on my wedding anniversary. You were my first bottle-baby and while you had your problems, little escape artist and loudmouth, you had your irresistible charms.

Today was almost worse, when you weren't there to greet me at the door, smug again in your ability to escape "fort knox" the goat pen.

I'm so sorry, and I miss you.

2 comments:

  1. (((hugs)))

    I'm so sorry you lost the little one.


    Please don't beat yourself up. you KNOW you are good and dedicated goatie mama. She knew she was loved, and you did everything you could for her. that may not make the loss any easier, but you have no reason to feel guilt on top of the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :(

    It is so hard to lose one :(

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete