Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Seven

We are extremely pleased with our new Nubian, Seven. She is absolutely the kindest little soul to ever walk this earth.

She's taken quite a liking to Rogue, the new LGD puppy. They get along great and have been seen sleeping together even.

We are really looking forward to producing some Mini-Nubians with Seven.

Rogue is turning out really great. Twice now, she's given an "alarm bark" after which I go and check up on it, making a great show of looking for the disturbance and telling her that she is a good girl for letting me know something is out there. So far, she doesn't appear to be a boredom barker, thank goodness. I do want to encourage her sounding off when she hears or sees something that might be a threat, and I think we're well on the road to that.

The extended pen is well on its way as well. Just a bit longer and I think we'll be able to haul everyone in together and get it up. I'm quite likely going to extend on side to run all the way across the back of the house. This means there will be goats right at my back door, but there's always a way around that! I'm thinking at first I can get set up a gated area to keep them away from the back door, and then later on, we can add a back porch. Won't that be nice! I can even put my milkstand on it and have an overhang, so I can milk in poor weather.

I am making a trip out of town for the first time in a long time. And it will be a trip without Steven. I know, astonishing!

I am going with my friend and neighbor to visit another friend, up in north Texas. She runs the River Bottom Ranch, and my beautiful little buckling is waiting for me. I can't wait to go, and see her, and all of her goats. We're even going to go riding, so very exciting. I haven't been horse back riding in some seven or eight years, which is sad because I used to work quite a bit with horses.

I may not be updating until I'm back from the trip, so be sure to check in after the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I have goats on my backporch right now. Well they are the new moms and babies in the backyard but they can get on the backporch. It can make getting down the steps a challenge! Love them but will be glad when the kids are big enough to go out to the big pasture. Found your blog from The Goat Spot forum.

    ReplyDelete