Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ignorance in the Horse World

Here in the last week, I've encountered some ignorance.

Now, I encounter ignorance a lot. That's nothing new. And there's really nothing wrong with ignorance, unless you're unwilling to learn and become ignorant no longer.

However, this time, it was two separate but vaguely related issues. Let's start with the first one, that actually occurred last week.

I have some neighbors. Nice neighbors really, friendly. They were given (given as in FREE) three horses. A severely emaciated dun filly, a bay mare, and a dark bay stallion. I know these horses were free because they were offered to me first, by another neighbor down the road. The horses were starving to death, tied to trees. Nice, right? There was no way I could afford to take on any charity cases, so I of course, declined.

So, neighbors get these horses. Fine, whatever. They put up fencing and seem to be doing alright. I finally got the chance to speak with one of them, and asked what their plans were with the stallion.

"Oh, we're going to see if he breeds good."

????????????

Huh?

If he BREEDS GOOD? What the hell does that even mean? Anything with a penis and a pair of testicles can breed! Are they expecting him to throw his oh so lovely posty legs and his ewe neck and his giant horrid looking head? How about his shitty attitude?

Ugh. Keep in mind this stallion's already been pastured with both mares. And sure enough, I looked out my window yesterday morning and there's a little foal running alongside the older mare. A colt.

Sigh.


Now, onto the second issue. I was invited to join a rescue "group" on FB. I figured, hey, I've spent nearly my entire life rescuing everything from reptiles to wolves, why not. Within hours, I noticed a post about how the people were rabid anti-slaughter (horse) and were staying friends with certain well known pro-slaughter advocates to "keep an eye on the enemy."

Lolwut?

I came right out and said that I am pro-slaughter and got bashed right off, after which I left the group. Sorry, don't need that! Nevermind the YEARS of rescue I've done with an amazing amount of species, including horses, goats, reptiles, and exotic mammals. I wonder if they're all vegetarians? Because *in my opinion* anyone who eats meat but is anti horse slaughter is a hypocrite - slaughter is slaughter, no matter the species.

Believe it or not, you can be concerned and fight for the welfare of animals AND enjoy eating them. I love my goats but I will certainly raise up some goats to eat. Pigs too. I've eaten horse and I'd do it again. It's about the humane treatment of animals. That includes animals used for food.

I've eaten horse and I'd eat it again. I raise goats, love goats, keep goats as pets and milkers and companions, but I love to eat goat too. And I fully plan on raising some meat babies next year.

Sorry people. Horses don't shit rainbows and butterflies. They crap just like every other animal. Slaughter is slaughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment