Thursday, September 22, 2011

Making Ends Meet

I haven't written for a few days, and I apologize for that. It's been kind of a crazy week, I admit.

Let me start by updating the situation I wrote about some weeks ago. Know that currently the issue is being worked on through cooperation. We're hoping to put aside the problems and move forward. Let's hope it works out!

To the Spyder Followers: He's doing just fine. I know you must hearing about him, and trust me, I miss writing about him. I especially miss his special little nicker that used to be for me and me alone. I was hoping to go see him next month, but that might not work out.

Now, to move onto today's topic.

Making ends meet. In this world, it's a never-ending battle for some of us. In a perfect world, we would all have a savings, good jobs, and everything would work the way it's supposed to.

But this isn't a perfect world, by far.

My house desperately needs prepping for the winter, my roof still leaks, my truck needs a tune up, my vet fund has been decimated, I've run out of hay, there is no grass.....

This list goes on and on, just like everyone's does. That's the way it works. I'm no different than millions of other people who have these problems, and worse.

Sadly, what makes the situation a little more difficult is this Texas drought. I'm sure you've heard about it. A lot. The drought means no local hay. Which means hay and feed has skyrocketed. Today I picked up two bales, two 50lb bales of crappy looking hay for $11 a bale. My heart sunk, but at the same time, I was damned grateful the feed store had some hay at ALL.

I've come to the heart-wrenching conclusion that sacrifices must be made to keep us going through the winter. If this had been a normal year, I wouldn't have had to buy hay at all this summer, which means all the money spent so far would have been going towards the winter hay fund. Hay would be $5-7 a bale or cheaper.

But this isn't a normal year.

So . . . this is the formal announcement. With a heavy heart, I have listed Jetta for sale. Not because she is going without, but because it makes the most sense to sell her. If she sells (which honestly is unlikely in this economy), I will be able to provide forage for the goats and Apple throughout the winter and not have to worry, too much anyways, about making sure everyone is warm and fed. If she doesn't . . . well I suppose it's going to be a very tight and tough winter, truth be told.

No comments:

Post a Comment