Tuesday, September 27, 2011

An Update Post

Sorry, just a bit of a filler post today. Little updates on things going on here lately but no real subject.

Jetta hasn't found that perfect new home just yet, but had someone come look at her today. She did wonderful, behaved beautifully. I was proud of her. The lady then told me she wanted something bigger. Really lady . . . 11 hands is 11 hands. SMALL. But fine, she left, and then called me back later and offered me HALF the asking price.

What a lunatic. Offering half the asking price isn't going to make the pony BIGGER. I politely thanked her and hung up. What a cow.

All the goats are going into RAGING heat. They're driving me crazy! Thank goodness I'm bringing the buck in either at the end of this week or next week. I am borrowing a lovely black and white, polled, fainter (myotonic) buck from a good friend. I had originally planned on breeding back to Blizzard (now owned by Udderly Country Farm) but when I realized how bad this drought was, and watching beef prices rise, I made the decision to breed to a meat buck instead.

I will be holding back several wethers to fill my freezers. At the request of some friends, I'll also be documenting the entire thing, from conception, to birth, growing, to death, butchering, and being cooked. The life of a meat goat from start to finish. Hopefully you guys will enjoy that.

Still hunting for hay, and there's more information about that and some things that relate to it that I'll be posting about at a later date. It deserves it's own post.

I suppose that's all I have for now. Keep checking back, stuff is sure to pick up here soon, with breeding season so close.

4 comments:

  1. I bought a little unregistered myotonic buck for the same reason. I couldn't find a bigger meat bred buck in my price range. Plus I have two juniour does I want to use a smaller buck on the first time, assuming he can get the job done. I'd eventually love to have an Onion Creek Ranch Myotonic buck.

    Anything that doesn't go into my milking herd from my LaMancha type buck will go into the freezer. I have one of last seasons kids to process as soon as it gets cool enough to let it hang a little while.

    Will you be processing them yourself? Have you done it before? I found a great tutorial with lots of pictures that I used for the one I did in August.

    He was delicious. In fact, I still have some BBQ pulled goat in the freezer I may pull out today to reheat and eat like sloppy joes. I call all my meat goats "kenny" (from south park... OMG I KILLED KENNY!!!) so we may have some "Short Earred Kenny" for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be taking them to a good friend's place, they raise and butcher their own pigs and have a much better facility and better tools for the job. They're going to help us butcher, and we'll give them some meat in exchange.

    I have done it before, with help. And I've butchered very young goats on my own (dressed em like rabbits).

    I can hardly wait, and the goats aren't even conceived yet. LOL! They'll be born around March, so we'll probably wait for the winter as well to butcher, although I hear that goat meat doesn't need to hang as long as most meats do. I need to look up more information about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. we didn't hang the first one, he was cooking within an hour of his last meal and he was a tad chewy. A friend of mine said just hanging over night in cold but above freezing temps will make them more tender but if you hang too long they get a bucky flavor. No clue how true that is, but it was what i was told.

    ReplyDelete