Friday, February 19, 2010

Thoughts

Things are pretty much same old same old. I've been mulling over a lot of different things lately though.

One of which was registering the whole herd with the NMGA. I went back and forth, weighing the pros and cons of it, and finally decided not too. It's not the issue of the paperwork or anything, but honestly, my goats sell really well without registration, and I don't see the point of fussing with it when it really won't add anything to it.

I will of course register goats who are eligible with the bigger more respectful registries, such as NDGA or AGS.

Otherwise, I'm not going to worry about it really. It's just not worth it honestly.

The other big thing I'm going over is disbudding. I really think if I begin to disbud my kids, I'll have even better sales since most of my babies are sold for pets and hornless goats make them safer. I had some trepidation over a few issues, such as the possibility of goats without their horns overheating and dieing from heat stress, but I have been told by a lot of more experienced owners that this is a really rare occurrence, and any goats who did die from this likely had something else going on.

So while the registration went in the garbage, it looks like disbudding is in the "to-do" box. I plan on getting the 1/2" Rinehart X30, which is small enough for Nigerians but large enough for little buckling buds and possible future Mini-Nubians. The very thought of burning their little heads quells my stomach, but I think I can handle it.

Thankfully, I have a new friend, the breeder I am buying two lovely does from, who has offered to help me out by showing me how to do it. I look forward to learning!

Another great bit of news, the breeder I am doing website work in exchange for a buckling teased me with a post.

"My camera is hiding again, but I had a BEAUTIFUL blue-eyed buckling on the 14th. I've never seen one quite like him. I'll send pics as soon as I discover my camera's whereabouts : )"

How cruel of her to post such a teaser and then not follow up! I can hardly wait to see the little guy, he just might be "the one." I really wanted blue eyes and dashing color, because in the pet industry, it SELLS!

Not to mention I'm a huge sucker for color myself of course.

The weather has been really nice lately. It's warmed up and the ground is drying up even. I love it. I'm able to go out and spend time with the goats again, something I couldn't do in the cold. They of course are delighted with the attention.

I have been a bit sick on and off, but that happens every time the weather changes, so I tend not to fuss about it too much.

I think I'd like to plan on doing two "waves" of kids each year. Early kids (March) and mid-year kids (May) about. This way I can breed the Junior does I have at a good age and not have to wait another year, but also not have to breed them too early. It will also be an opportunity for "early" breeders to settle if they don't the first time around without spending a year as a hay burner.

And when there's a ton of interest and my "early" kids are sold out, it's not too long for those who joined my ever growing waiting list to wait for the "mid-year" kids.

I just hope we don't have problems with the heat. We did really well when old Cowbell kidded in June or July last year and didn't have an issue, so I'm hoping it will work out. If not, we can always ease everyone back to being bred for early year kids and just enjoying the inevitable "flood!"

I guess it all just depends on how things go!

No comments:

Post a Comment