Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wintertime


It snowed today! And I mean, REALLY SNOWED.

I think we got nearly four inches. Can you believe it? That makes three times it's snowed here this Winter. How crazy is that!

And how crazy is it for me to admit I've never seen this much snow in my life. I don't like the cold, hate it, but I will admit it was interesting to see this much snow.

I even made an effort to play in it. I made a dorky little snowman and popped him into the freezer. Don't laugh!

The poor goats were horrified, as you can imagine. I think between the cursing they were doing, they were wondering who the heck tripped over the power cord to the sun. And I don't blame them. The day before yesterday, we had beautiful warm weather with sunshine and happiness.

Welcome to Texas, the bi-polar state. Don't like the weather? Wait ten minutes!

That brings me to a thought I've always had. It's no secret that my house right now has no heating, so that we've had some issues. We've had ice hanging from our faucet and you can generally see your breath in the living room.

So my thought is, all these people that claim to love Winter? No, you love the feeling of being able to "defeat" Winter. This is not an insult of course, just a general thought I've had.

Take away someone's warm heater, comfortable house, nice things. How much would you love Winter then when you are freezing cold?

I detest Winter. I hate it even when I do have heat, and have suffered many a Winter with no or substandard heating. I don't like being cold. It makes me miserable and I can't sleep. On the other hand, I delight in heat that would cause other people to be absolutely miserable.

I guess it's all about balance. And remembering to be grateful for everything you have.

When you're sipping that hot chocolate in your warm house, remember for the briefest moment those people who don't have those things, and remember to be grateful everyday for the little things. They're what you'll miss the most when they are gone.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine living with NO HEAT!!! For reals.

    I despise cold weather! Give me 100degress instead. I won't complain (much!)LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love winter. i thrived in it. Part of that is because when it would get above 75 degrees I would start barfing. me and heat do NOT get along. But also my logic is I can always pile on more clothes and blankets but I can only take so many layers off before I make people go blind or get arrested. lol.

    I love my central air with a passion.

    But now i am marginally more tolerant of heat (it takes 85 to make me feel yucky) and significantly LESS tolerant of cold. My hips hurt in the cold, my wrists hurt in the cold, my fingers hurt in the cold. And our winters have been icy and windy instead of sunny and covered in fluffy white snow. Plus they have been so long and lingering that it makes it hard to grow gourds.

    I am liking winter a LOT less than i used to like it. But not enough to move all the way to some place like Texas, lol. How would I show people where I live on my hand if i didn't live some place shaped like a mitten?? I wouldn't know how to survive!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cold drives me mad, but of course, this morning I wake up and the sun is shining and it looks like spring.

    I'll post a picture tonight of Texas' magical transformation.

    ReplyDelete